Thursday, January 28, 2010

Queen of the final

Serena Williams looks on between games

Serena Williams is the Queen of the Final. In Grand Slam finals, she is 28-5 overall (singles, doubles and mixed). At Melbourne Park, she has never lost a final – not in singles or doubles.

In her 41st Grand Slam appearance, Williams is into her 15th singles final – of the 14 she’s already played, she’s won 11 and lost three (US Open 2001, Wimbledon 2004 and 2008). She’s also won 10 doubles majors (all with sister Venus) and two mixed (both with Max Mirnyi).

She’s already won four singles titles in Melbourne, tying with Margaret Court (who won 11 overall, four of which were in the Open era), Evonne Goolagong Cawley, Steffi Graf and Monica Seles.

And if Williams wins on Saturday, she’ll have won more singles titles here in the Open era than any other woman.

It’s an impeccable record, one which Williams is looking to build on this weekend.

“I don't come into a tournament trying to defend a title. I come into a tournament trying to win a title. That's how I look at it,” she said after her semi-final win over Li Na of China.

It was a close finish for Williams, who was pushed to tie-breakers in both sets, eventually winning 7-6(4) 7-6(1) and ending Li’s hopes of becoming the first Chinese player to qualify for a Grand Slam singles final. And despite her loss, Li still took some positives away from the match.

“I mean, was first time two Chinese player same time play semi-final in Grand Slam. Good for both player. Of course, I think also good for China tennis,” Li said after the match.

“I think if the children, they saw this time, maybe they have more confident. They think maybe someday they can do also, yeah. I think, how you say, [it] was [an] exciting day.”

But with both Li and compatriot Zheng Jie out of the tournament (Zheng was defeated 6-1 6-0 by Justine Henin), Williams now has only one player left to think about. Henin.

The Belgian’s comeback has been nothing short of spectacular. Two tournaments and two finals. In Brisbane, the former world No.1 fell to fellow comeback Belgian Kim Clijsters in a classic final.

Finally, Henin will meet Williams in a Grand Slam final for the first time – and it’s a tantalising match-up.

“We've never played in a Grand Slam final in the past. It's my first Grand Slam since I'm back, and we're already there. So it's more than a dream. I mean, I'm so happy to play against her because if I want to win another Grand Slam, I'll have to beat the best player of the world. And that's just the biggest challenge I could get,” said Henin.

“I have to be honest, I didn't really expect that. But now that's a reality that is coming. I will try to be at my best.”

Williams, though, is just happy to be in the final after what has been a difficult tournament for the top seed, who has been wearing strapping on her right thigh and left calf.

“I'm happy to still be alive, and one of the last two standing. So it's good,” she said.

But surprisingly, she insists that she won’t begin to think about the final until she walks on court.

“I don't think about it. I just go out and do whatever I can. Whatever happens, it's all I can do at that time.”

When asked about her opponent, Williams was full of praise for the Belgian, who she has played 13 times for seven wins.

“What qualities don't she have? She has everything from really a [good] serve, which you might not think, but she has a really good serve, to both great backhand and forehand.”

The question now, however, is can Henin end Williams’ run of winning Australian Open finals? Or can the American add another record to her already impressive resume? We’ll find out Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment